• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Margie

Margie
  • WL
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:57 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Marguerite (Margie) Thorp and I'm a skicross racer.  (Skicross, also known as skiercross, is a relatively new event that sticks four competitors on the same terrain-filled course at the same time.)  I'll be writing for MSR about the trials, tribulations and triumphs of my career as a professional snow-sport athlete.

Here's a very quick rundown of who I am and where I came from:

I grew up in Colorado, skiing with my parents and trying to keep up with my brother, and I started racing at age 8.  I started out racing the fun stuff at my local resorts (Keystone, Copper Mountain, Arapahoe Basin and Breckenridge), skiing Nastar and Coca-Cola cups for a season or two.  I loved what I was doing, though, and my parents eventually put me into the Team Summit program, skiing YSL races and eventually working my way up to a USSA and FIS level.  As my commitment to skiing increased, my parents and I sought a program that would help me fulfill my ski racing potential while still challenging me academically, so I transferred to Rowmark Ski Academy in Salt Lake City, UT, for my junior and senior years of high school.  After I graduated, I took a year off to work and ski race, and that's when I discovered skicross.  My coach, Jeff Sadis, and I have been working together since last March in order to pursue my lofty but realistic goal of racing in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, Canada.  Our focus right now is on Europa Cups, World Cups, and the Jeep King of the Mountain series here in the US.

In the meantime, I am also studying full-time at Harvard University.  I play rugby with the women's team here as well.  When I'm not on the slopes or on the pitch, I'm probably finishing a lab report as I pursue a degree in molecular & cellular biology on a pre-medical track.  

I hope you all enjoy reading my blog, and feel free to send me any comments or questions!

Check out my blog!
~Margie

#2 Dr. Liz

Dr. Liz
  • Root Admin
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

Welcome aboard, Margie!!!  'Resident bad-ass' indeed!  You aren't kidding!  We are thrilled to have you here, and can't wait for your next installment.

BTW, even though it's not exactly your focus, have you raced NASTAR recently?  Do you have a NASTAR record?  We've got a NASTAR team that would love to have you!!! biggrin.gif

Liz

#3 AJ

AJ
  • Moderators
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

Very cool...I would LOVE to do skiercross someday!  hope you  make it in 2010!
"Skiing is the life........And its the life I want to have forever" -- Me

"REAL Skiers are like drug addicts. They always want to ski all the time and they cant stop thinking about skiing until they get that next fix. But the next fix always has to be bigger, better and faster then the fix before." --Annyonomus

#4 Gary Dranow

Gary Dranow
  • Root Admin
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

Hey Folks, great to have a top level FIS/WC Skier
blogging away here on our forums!!  Welcome
aboard Margie!  A big thanks to Jeff Sadis for
hooking Marqie up with us so we all can get a
bird's eye view of how the world's elite deal with
the pressures, challenges and successes competing
at the WC level  thanks.gif

Margie's been blogging away so in case you've missed
her thoughts and experiences follow this to her
BLOGS

thumbsup.gif

"Developing Faster Racers is MY Passion"

ModernSkiRacing

NASTAR Race Record / MASTERS Race Record

#5 Margie

Margie
  • WL
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:45 PM

New blog posted today about biking, core workouts, and a doctor's appointment - check it out here!
~Margie

#6 Margie

Margie
  • WL
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

I'm finally back in the weight room!  Read about it here.

~Margie

#7 Margie

Margie
  • WL
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

I've written a new entry, less about working out and more about the big dilemma I see in my life right now.  You can check it out in my blog.
~Margie

#8 Margie

Margie
  • WL
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:07 AM

After a brief break from blogging, I'm back on, writing about my extended healing process and a killer upper-body workout.
~Margie

#9 JacksonGreen

JacksonGreen
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

Checked it out, nice Mags.
UP Snow!