• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Dranow

Gary Dranow
  • Root Admin
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:05 PM

Ran NASTAR at DV, what a HOOT! AAR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was lucky to get out to Deer Valley today and run at their NASTAR venue for the first time, FINALLY!

It was a SCREAMING HOOT!

Here's my "After Action Report" (AAR).

The course opened on time. Check!

Was well staffed and the course was well maintained. Instructors bringing their Kid privates were constantly slipping the course.

The hill is interesting providing two decent pitches and a GREAT roller about half way down. Not quite a pro bump but close enough to get you in the air if you are charging.

The set was appropriate for the public. A bit too offset for my 21M GS skis (I ran my 184's today) but absolutely perfect for the adult or kid who wants to get a taste of racing and have to make some turns while doing it (unlike the silly straight "wax race" courses we get at another local venue).

The pricing is perfect for the typical Deer Valley opulence one expects. It is $10 for two runs. They do sell a NASTAR season pass for the habitual gate basher, I didn't catch the price, however.

There is also a great crew of characters at the venue, at least today. It seems that half of the retired Slovenia team was there with their young charges - and boy did they charge! Great Feeder system for the kids not quite ready to step up to USSA over at PCMR.

I met Donen, from Slovenia and my Serbo-Croat was hit, we cussed appropriately at each other and then he gave me some free coaching, in terms I completely agreed with and understood. VERY NICE!

I got to run with Freddy, an ex-Swiss National Teamer who owns;

www.swissrockguides.com

Extremely nice guy, very open and quite fast. I believe Freddy nipped me and he was running on his all mountain skis in his instructor uniform, of course I was suited. (Excuse 103) I should've brought my Mutix R11's out, they would have been perfect for today's race. I'm lucky he wasn't on his race boards and skivvies today  

I did hear from many of the instructors, in both English, swiss and Serbo-Croat that today's course was a fair amount tighter and two more gates than yesterday.

So it would appear that on a given day you can get out their with your 21M GS boards and arc 'em all the way down (that is if you can stay on the ground over the roller, I never stayed on the ground today and LOVED IT!!).

Dr. Liz and I are SOLD!

We are going to get a mid-season pass there so we can get our NASTAR ya-ya's out in a great environment run by friendly PROFESSIONALS.

Man that would make a great MSR.com "Training Center", I'll keep putting my proposal in, who knows, maybe someday  

My only criticism and this is very small is that their finish area is a bit short. But I believe they are aware of this and stagger the faster racers - they did at least with me. They also tightened up the course a bit coming to the last few gates and did it well, it was technical, controlled your speed but didn't slam you in the face. I did not see one DNF for the 4 runs I was out there with all levels. That is usually and indicator of a well set course.

Last thing. I ran virtually the same HC today as I ran against Daron at the Nationals two years ago. Very fair Handicapping, the way it should be (trust me at most venues Freddy would be a 2 or better with his National average). He ran a 14 and won the race at our other venue (PCMR is a bit challenged and they aren't listening, hate to say it but I always try to call it like it is).

So the MSR.com official NASTAR Venue rating for Deer Valley is 4 out of 4 HAPPY FACES!

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

"Developing Faster Racers is MY Passion"

ModernSkiRacing

NASTAR Race Record / MASTERS Race Record

#2 sherman

sherman
  • Beta Testers
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE(Gary Dranow @ Apr 5 2007, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ran NASTAR at DV, what a HOOT! AAR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was lucky to get out to Deer Valley today and run at their NASTAR venue for the first time, FINALLY!

It was a SCREAMING HOOT!

Here's my "After Action Report" (AAR).

The course opened on time. Check!

Was well staffed and the course was well maintained. Instructors bringing their Kid privates were constantly slipping the course.

The hill is interesting providing two decent pitches and a GREAT roller about half way down. Not quite a pro bump but close enough to get you in the air if you are charging.

The set was appropriate for the public. A bit too offset for my 21M GS skis (I ran my 184's today) but absolutely perfect for the adult or kid who wants to get a taste of racing and have to make some turns while doing it (unlike the silly straight "wax race" courses we get at another local venue).

The pricing is perfect for the typical Deer Valley opulence one expects. It is $10 for two runs. They do sell a NASTAR season pass for the habitual gate basher, I didn't catch the price, however.

There is also a great crew of characters at the venue, at least today. It seems that half of the retired Slovenia team was there with their young charges - and boy did they charge! Great Feeder system for the kids not quite ready to step up to USSA over at PCMR.

I met Donen, from Slovenia and my Serbo-Croat was hit, we cussed appropriately at each other and then he gave me some free coaching, in terms I completely agreed with and understood. VERY NICE!

I got to run with Freddy, an ex-Swiss National Teamer who owns;

www.swissrockguides.com

Extremely nice guy, very open and quite fast. I believe Freddy nipped me and he was running on his all mountain skis in his instructor uniform, of course I was suited. (Excuse 103) I should've brought my Mutix R11's out, they would have been perfect for today's race. I'm lucky he wasn't on his race boards and skivvies today  

I did hear from many of the instructors, in both English, swiss and Serbo-Croat that today's course was a fair amount tighter and two more gates than yesterday.

So it would appear that on a given day you can get out their with your 21M GS boards and arc 'em all the way down (that is if you can stay on the ground over the roller, I never stayed on the ground today and LOVED IT!!).

Dr. Liz and I are SOLD!

We are going to get a mid-season pass there so we can get our NASTAR ya-ya's out in a great environment run by friendly PROFESSIONALS.

Man that would make a great MSR.com "Training Center", I'll keep putting my proposal in, who knows, maybe someday  

My only criticism and this is very small is that their finish area is a bit short. But I believe they are aware of this and stagger the faster racers - they did at least with me. They also tightened up the course a bit coming to the last few gates and did it well, it was technical, controlled your speed but didn't slam you in the face. I did not see one DNF for the 4 runs I was out there with all levels. That is usually and indicator of a well set course.

Last thing. I ran virtually the same HC today as I ran against Daron at the Nationals two years ago. Very fair Handicapping, the way it should be (trust me at most venues Freddy would be a 2 or better with his National average). He ran a 14 and won the race at our other venue (PCMR is a bit challenged and they aren't listening, hate to say it but I always try to call it like it is).

So the MSR.com official NASTAR Venue rating for Deer Valley is 4 out of 4 HAPPY FACES!

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
Is Deer Valley open to the public or private. Rob

#3 Gary Dranow

Gary Dranow
  • Root Admin
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE(sherman @ Apr 5 2007, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Deer Valley open to the public or private. Rob

Public, here's their schedule

http://www.deervalley.com/services/winter-activities.jsp

They even supply a phone number to call regarding venue times, open status, private events and so on.  I've got the start shack phone number as well that I'll post in the "real forum" when we get going here (could be the same number as on their activity page, haven't checked).

"Developing Faster Racers is MY Passion"

ModernSkiRacing

NASTAR Race Record / MASTERS Race Record